Worldwide trademark registration is the first step in the process. What is it? How can you register your brand name and when is it worth doing it? Keep reading to learn more!
What is worldwide trademark registration?
Worldwide trademark registration is the process of registering your brand name or logo in multiple countries. This way, you can protect your intellectual property in those countries and have the exclusive right to use your brand elements there.
What are the types of trademarks?
As stated by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, “a trademark is a word, phrase, or design that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.”
There are different types of trademarks, and it's possible to distinguish:
- traditional marks, which include words, names, logos, and slogans;
- service marks, which identify and distinguish the source of a service;
- certification marks, which certify the regional or global origin, material, mode of manufacture, quality, accuracy, or other characteristics of goods or services;
- collective marks, which identify the members of a collective group or organization.
Why is it worth benefiting from trademark registration services?
There are a number of reasons why it's worth choosing professional trademark registration services. They give you a chance to:
- protect your brand name or logo from being used by someone else in the countries where you're registered;
- sue someone who uses your brand elements without your permission;
- prevent someone else from registering a similar or identical brand name or logo in the countries where you're registered.
3 steps of the process
Worldwide trademark registration can be complex and time-consuming, so it's advisable to seek the professional help of specialists who can take care of the entire process for you, from filing the application to monitoring its status.
The trademark registration process usually involves three steps such as:
- Searching for similar or identical trademarks - before you file a trademark application, it's advisable to conduct a search for similar or identical trademarks in the countries where you want to register your brand name or logo. This way, you can avoid potential legal problems in the future.
- Completing the application - once you've found that there are no similar or identical trademarks in the countries where you want to register your brand name or logo, you can proceed to file the trademark application, which has numerous components. It's necessary to provide data such as your name, address, citizenship, the drawing of your mark, its description, the list of goods and services covered by the mark, and many more. Thanks to trademark registration services, you'll be able to sleep soundly knowing your application is completed correctly.
- Filling the application - the next step is to file the application with the competent authority. Then, you should receive a confirmation receipt with a serial number, thanks to which you’ll be able to monitor the application progress.
When should you trademark your company?
It's advisable to benefit from trademark registration services as soon as you launch your company. This way, you can avoid potential legal problems in the future and have the exclusive right to use your brand name and logo in the countries where you're registered.